Labels

Food (53) Fitness (10) Nature (7)

Monday, August 13, 2012

Baked Nimki, Happy Janmashtami!

Hey everyone.. long time no see.. sorry about that.. Hope all's well with everybody. Happy Janmashtami!! I didn't actually make nimki for Janmashtami.. but it was Janmashtami recently and I made nimki recently, so..

Nimki
Tried baking the Nimki to minimize oil. Turned out pretty decent. Started out with BongMom's recipe which I've made before (fried) and had turned out perfect. I just modified small things to accommodate baking and the fact that I didn't have any whole wheat flour at the time.

Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1 and 2/3 cup (In future I will try to combo with whole wheat flour and rice flour)
Fine Semolina (Pani puri sooji) - 1/3 cup or slightly more
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Kalonji - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 6 tbsp
Water - 1/2 cup, appx., use judgement, I think I used a bit less.

Method:
1) Mix well - flours, salt, sugar, kalonji, baking powder.
2) Add oil, mix by hand till oil seems to be evenly distributed in the mixture, looks kind of crumbly.
3) Add water, knead well, cover with clingwrap and let rest for 30 mins or so.
4) Make small balls of the dough and roll into thin rotis. Prick with fork if you want the nimki to not puff up. Cut into diamond shapes. (Note: I have rolled on my normal wooden roti-base before. But when I cut the nimki it left cutting marks on my nice, (mostly unused), wooden base. So this time I just covered my chopping board with non-stick foil and rolled on it.)
5) Pull the nimki off and arrange on a non-stick cookie sheet, covered with non-stick foil. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 F for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye, don't let them turn too brown. Can flip the nimkis in between if you feel it's necessary.

Turned out glorious. I made the nimkis thin because I thought that would help make them crisp. It did help! They are perfectly crisp! But thin rolling made for a lot of rolling, lot of rotis, lot of nimkis and baking on multiple cookie-sheets. :) Oh well, more to eat!

Pip-pip-cheerio!

6 comments:

suvi said...

You've been away for a really long time. Hope all's OK.
Great idea to bake the nimkis, I think I will cut them in circles and make puris for sev puri.

SS blogs here said...

Hey Aqua.. yes.. it's been a while, just had to cut back for a bit. All's well, thanks for checking! :)

sra said...

Allo allo, you were missed. Good to see you back! I had to read that Janmashtami recently and nimki recently line a couple of times to understand ...

SS blogs here said...

Hey sra! That's so sweet! Good to see you. :)

Bong Mom said...

Helluuu where were you all these days ? And you really baked it ? You are a genius, going to do the same

SS blogs here said...

Hey BongMom.. I was in Communicado. ;) Missed everyone too much. How potent your Nimki recipe is eh!! :)

-