Labels

Food (53) Fitness (10) Nature (7)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fried Fish

Hey everyone.. very simple and basic fried fish today..

Fig.1 Fried Fish

A really quick and easy dish that never fails to turn an otherwise simple meal into something quite special.

If I find good, fresh looking fish, I often end up buying it regardless of what my cooking-time-crunch situation is. Because the following marinade hardly takes 7 minutes: Wash the fish, poke slits in it and chop into somewhat medium sized pieces. Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, amti powder or any garam masala. Mix well so that fish is well coated in the spices. Let the fish marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Then next morning, portion it into small batches and freeze them in a ziplock bag.

When it is time for dinner on one of your more frenzied days, make something super-fast, say, just dal-rice or re-heated leftovers. And defrost one batch of marinated fish. Roll each slice of fish in some semolina (rava), and shallow fry on a pan with a tiny bit of oil. The side of fried fish is guaranteed to be the highlight of your otherwise ordinary quick-fix dinner. If you are even more crunched for time, this fried fish also goes really well like a "fish patty" inside an ordinary sandwich with green chutney and tomatoes or leafy greens.

Update: Being my favorite way of eating fish, this post goes to Aparna's event "My Favorite Recipe!"

Have a good week, everyone!

11 comments:

Pavithra Srihari said...

Wow .. though a vegeterian , am thinking to start eating only fish .. may be st start off with this quick fix one ... looks too good ..

Sushma Mallya said...

I love fish esp when its fried and this looks crispy and delicious...

SS blogs here said...

Hey Pavithra.. wow, many thanks for that sweet compliment! I'm sure one could slice paneer into thin slices and do the same marinate-fry trick! Cheers! :)

Aparna S Mallya said...

I LOVE fish! And yr fried fish makes me want to just grab it!

SS blogs here said...

Thanks, Sushma and Aparna. :)

Soma said...

I want some. ma and grandma would make it this way and then would serve it with caramelized onions to make a dish out it when required. I has been very long since I made this. I would have this with hot rice and the onions would make my pseudo pulau. I have to make this soon.

love your idea to use in a sandwich!

Soma - www.ecurry.com

SS blogs here said...

Hey Soma.. I like your idea of adding onions and making pseudo pulao.. :) Will keep that tip in mind! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

First time visit to your blog!
Fish looks yum!
btw did u use tilapia or any other fish variety?

SS blogs here said...

Hey Tanvi.. Thanks for visiting and the comment. I actually use tilapia for almost all my fish dishes. Haven't been very adventurous trying other fish so far. Cheers!

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Simple and Delicious SS. I have to try this recipe. btw, this is my first visit here and I am glad I blog hopped to your site. Looking forward to connect with you. Happy Cooking n Happy Blogging

SS blogs here said...

Hey, RV! Thanks for stopping by!

-